Tuesday, February 23, 2010
That Stinks
On the day we brought our little Maddi home for the first time we had an unexpected surprise waiting for us (I suppose that is why they call it a surprise). We didn't discover this surprise until after Mary and crew had long left us and my Dad was on his way to come stay the week. Holly was about to use the restroom when she yelled for me to come here now. As I walked into the bathroom and reluctantly looked into the toilet I could see that the water was bubbling. So I hurried down stairs to see what the matter was and much to my surprise (there's that word again) there was water in my basement. I could see where it was leaking from the sewer line heading out of the house. After rushing to grab the shop vac and asking Holly to call and find out where my Dad was I began the clean up duties. Moving the deep freeze across the room and vacuuming up as much as the water as i could. After getting most of the mess cleaned up and realizing that just a little bit of water was leaking I realized I should go explain to my wife what was going on because I am sure she was freaking out especially because we had just brought our new baby home. After calming down my frantic wife and explaining to her that it wasn't that bad I called my Dad so he could help me assess the damage. After strategically placing a bucket to catch the water I was able to relax until he arrived so we could figure out how to fix this surprise. A long story a little shorter the next day was spent replacing all the old joints in the plumbing system. My baby's new mother was unable to shower or flush the toilet for about 10 hours this did not make her happy. In the end we also had to call a plumber to come rotorooter our line. I became very familiar with the path to and from Home Depot and some of the employees there now know me by name. In the end though the leaks are fixed and we were very lucky my Dad was in town to save the day and fix the stinky surprise we had waiting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment